This is one of the many peer-to-peer TV watching programs. It runs fine under Wine. The versions that work: Wine 0.9.45, TvAnts 220.127.116.11, under Fedora Core 4.
- download and install Wine
- if you're compiling from source (which takes a while), you may also have to install FontForge first
- download TvAnts (the link takes you to a page translated from Chinese by Google Translate). Also, by now you can find the installer in many other places
- run wine tvantssetup.exe to install TvAnts
- after that, run wine "c:\program files\tvants\tvants.exe" to run TvAnts
- when you start a channel, note the error message:
Failed to open channel http://localhost:16900/1.asf
(the 1.asf may have a different number)
- click the "No" button
- in a terminal, run:
(replace the 1 with the number you saw in the error)
There is some info on this page about getting TvAnts to automatically invoke mplayer when selecting a channel, but I haven't gotten that to work.